Monday, July 23, 2018

New Again Monday

I’m trying to create a workout program that accounts for both my and my son’s difference in ability and experience. He’s a newbie and better served with a full-body, three-day-a-week program. I’ve got what’s referred to as “mature muscle” so hitting each body part once a week with some overlap is fine. The point where we converge is doing cardio, and core.

Today is Monday and my son’s bio clock has been reset by a week at Boy Scout Camp. He actually gets up without me having to rouse him. It’s also a Push Day, but we start off with our basic cardio: 15 min of recumbent bike and 30 min on the treadmill. However, I do increase the incline to 10 degrees so that makes it a tad harder. Pull ups are another matter. I have my son rest after his first set. He doesn’t get 10, but close. I get my 20. I ask him to just get 5 more, and he does but he indicates that’s about all he can do for now.

We continue with push ups and core movements before going back to the weight area. The Smith is free as is the smaller flat bench. I show my son how to bench press and we take turns, using the same bench. His reach is longer so he sets the bar a notch higher. As we move to heavier weight, I make sure my son keeps his form. At least with us alternating turns, my son is forced to rest between his sets. Since I’m just getting back to lifting after 6 weeks of doing nothing but mild cardio, I’m easing into the routine. I’m not quite ready to push as hard as I’m used to, so this works out well for introducing my son to the rhythm.

We get to 80 lbs and I worry that it’ll be too heavy for my son, but it isn’t. I tell my son that I like to end with a low-weight high-rep set of 25 reps. My son is able to match me without any issue. That’s so great. I’m less worried now and next week I’m going to increase the weights a bit more. The next movement is for shoulders. My son tells me he wants to do the Lat Raise Machine. 35 lbs is more than I remember him doing last, but he’s able to get his reps. Then he stands around staring at his phone while I do my DB Supersets in the free weight area. I’m hoping to regain my strength quickly and return to the 20-25 lbs. Right now it’s just the 15s for both Standing Laterals and Reverse Inclined Flyes.

I like to finish Push Day with triceps so I give my son the choice between Rip Skulls and Bench Dips. He’s never done Bench Dips before but he definitely feels them in his triceps so he continues with them. He’d rather not do them at all, but that’s not the choice I give him. (It’s best to limit choices when dealing with kids, otherwise they’d rather not do anything at all!) I do my skull crushers with 30 lbs and they feel light. Next time I’ll grab the discs and add 5 lbs. I still have to ask the front desk how to add increments to the new cable stations.

When we’re done, my son is ready to stretch out a little, and then leave. Tomorrow we plan to see Hotel Transylvania 3. It’s a little young for us and it didn't get great reviews, but we’ve enjoyed the previous two movies, so we’ll probably laugh at this one too.


Monday Push

15 recumbent bike
Level 1
Calories 66
Miles 2.13
Average Heart Rate 105

30 treadmill
10% Incline
Speed 3
Calories 263
Miles 1.49
Average Heart Rate 114 / maximum hr 131
776 ft climbed

Max HGPU 8, 5
HGPU 20

Push Ups 30
Max 20 + 7

Bicycles 50
Crunches 30/20
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Elbow Plank 60s

Smith Flat Bench
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12 (M 12)
70 x 12 (M 12)
80 x 12 (M 12)
50 x 25 (M 25)

Max DB Lateral Machine
35lbs x 12 x 3 sets
DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
15lbs x 12/15 x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
(Max Bench Dips 10, 12, 12)
30 lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...