Thursday, July 26, 2018

A Difference Between Towels and Other Comparisons

Today I let my son sleep in and I went to the gym by myself. The gym doesn't allow anyone younger than 17 years of age to use the kickboxing machines so he'd just be bored anyway. I'm not really sure why you have to be at least 17 years old, but I haven't been curious enough to ask either. The gym seems crowded, but of course, it's been raining all week, sometimes sideways.

I got on my home scale this morning just to determine what I'd suspected: I'm losing control of my meal portions and I'm putting on weight. And the not the good kind. To make matters more confusing, I bought myself a new bath towel at the grocery because it was on sale for $3.99. All cotton, solid colors and not horrible ones either. The towel is a lot thicker than my regular gym towels. Admittedly, my gym towels are so old and threadbare that they barely weigh anything and are almost sheer. This new towel actually has some heft to it. But enough to tilt the scale? I get on my home scale with and without said towel to check. And yes, the towel weighs in at 1.4 lbs and it's not even wet yet. 

Yesterday the gym was playing music from the 70s and 80s. I guess it was Throwback Wednesday. Today it's Country Western Thursday. It used to be the other way around. I guess they're mixing it up for the seniors? Ugh. I turn my tunes up higher. While I'm warming up, I catch snippets of conversation between Little R and a guy on the other side of my bench. All I hear is something about American Psycho and Christian Bale. I'm a little surprised actually because that's not what I expect guys to talk about at the gym. I got to listen to HS girls the other day when I was with my son. Wow, I wonder if I sounded that vacuous back then? I try really hard not to listen to other people's conversations even though we're in a "public space" and there's no expectations of privacy. Still, I'd rather not listen in...

Again, I decide to just to 7 rounds, Beginner level, Follow Me program on the right-side machine with the dead Power Dig sensor. It's going to ruin my Accuracy and Power scores because those blows will count as zeros in the total. I don't care. It also discounts combos that involve the Power Dig, like the Jab/Power Dig. So even though I hit the Jab fine, because the Power Dig doesn't register I lose the whole point for the combo. Sigh. Well, it's not like I didn't know this would happen. The glare is really bad today because the sun is blazing now, but it's still raining.

I don't do my customary pull ups afterwards because I did 50+ yesterday, and might do the same tomorrow. I'm starting to feel a little stress in my forearms close to the elbows and I don't want that to progress. Instead, I do a few basic core moves with a quick lower back stretch and then I'm done. Since my son isn't waiting for me (he doesn't shower at the gym because he says the locker room smells like yeast and is gross), I can take a bit more time in the shower to exfoliate and slather on the alpha hydroxy cream I need to keep the scales at bay. I'm finding rough patches in weird places now, like along the edge of my jawline just below the ears. Ugh.

Tomorrow my son and I will go to the gym and do some fun things. He'll roll his eyes at the pull ups and walking lunges, but hopefully he'll enjoy the Expresso bike. I know I will!

I watched the entire season of 9-11 with Angela Bassett and Peter Krause. I haven't seen him since Six Feet Under, before Michael C Hall rose to mesmerizing stardom as Dexter Morgan. Maybe since I've pretty much run through all the decent shows on Hulu, I'll actually get more stuff done. Hoarders only goes to Season 12 and Hulu hasn't aired the series 2-hour finale filmed last March. Prison Break just got too silly, and there's no more episodes of The Incredible Dr. Pol to watch. I've been viewing Glee intermittently, and the current shows So You Think You Can Dance as well as Gordon Ramsey's 24 Hours: To Hell and Back. I miss Robert Irvine's Restaurant Impossible! However, I did wander into the first season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, since I've never actually seen it. The first thing I thought was, hey, isn't that theme music the same as The Offspring's The Kids Aren't Alright. Me and about a thousand others thought the same thing, and it's not them. The 1997 Nerf Herder song predates Kids (1998) by at least a year. I've never heard of Nerf Herder before.




Yeah, weird, right?


Thursday

10 elliptical
Calories 88
Miles 0.80
Average Heart Rate 143 (85%) / max hr 162 Oops!

T, Y & I DB Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys FM 7r Beginner

Crunches 30/20
Bicycles 50
Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...