Wednesday, July 20, 2016

What The Hot Moms Are Wearing... Kidding!

Yellow Wood Sorrel is delicious!
Me and the dog are definitely enjoying the cooler weather! I know it won't last, but it's always good when I need a blanket to sleep. Unfortunately, our county just declared a drought warning and asked all residents to refrain from gratuitous watering. Uh, hmmm. I was planning to water the peas tomorrow, only the 3rd time this season that I've actually turned the hose on. The peas are going to be tough, but stir fried they'll still taste good. I also like to harvest the wild yellow wood sorrel that grows like wildfire in my raised bed, their luscious lemony leaves offering a bright counter point to bland salad greens. It's got a decent amount of Vitamin C, but also oxalic acid, which is not good for people with gout, rheumatism and kidney stones. Luckily, it's fairly safe in small quantities as a flavor accent.

Drawstring and pockets
Because it's cool out, I take the opportunity to try out the new Everlast "bermudas" I got from Kmart. They're made of sweatcloth, have both an elastic waistband and a drawstring, and deep front patch pockets. They come just to my knee although I'm sure they were meant to be slightly shorter. I don't like the drawstring because it leaves a weird belly lump under my tank top, but the shorts themselves are extremely comfortable. The Old Navy boys shorts arrived yesterday and they fit fine. I'll see how well they hold up during a workout next week. This is soooo exciting! Old Navy tends to run too big so I bought a tank size XS. This is probably the one time I should've just bought a Small because this tank is form-fitting skin tight. I can still wear it, but probably as an undergarment itself, because I don't think there's room to put a bra on under it. Seriously.

Today's a slightly better day for push ups. I took yesterday off because my son and I had a million things to do, from retrieving items left behind at Boy Scout camp from his Troop Mate's mom, to purchasing his 6th grade planner from Middle School, to getting tickets to the movies and then killing time at the local pizzeria, culminating in getting ready for Parent Night at his day camp that evening. Well, at least I didn't have to cook yesterday!

I'm wearing my raspberry and grey Asics because they are more supportive when I'm pulling heavy weight. They're not quite so much fun when I'm doing cardio. Still, I managed a decent mileage today, and pulled decent weight as well. I wish the old guys would stop looking so shocked when they seem me put plates on the Smith machine bar. Agreed that most women use the Smith for Squats and maybe Split Squats. Venus use to do Hip Thrusts there, but I haven't seen here in a very long time. Of course, now that I think of it, very few women consistently show up to Bench or DL here. Maybe at night, but not when I'm at the gym.

It could be my imagination, but I think I actually heard some faint cheering at the pull up bar when I dropped into a full extension at rep 30, and then managed one more full rep. There are a lot of regulars here today, and I'm visually familiar with most of them. There are some I just have no respect for because they never wipe down the machines once they use them. Being old and out of shape isn't a free pass! I see the middle-age redheaded Skinny-Fat chick on the treadmill with a cast on her right leg. Hmmmm. She walks for 5 minutes then gets caught up in conversation for the next 10 min. She was making great progress all winter and then she took a few days off during Easter. When she returned, it looked as if she'd put 20 lbs back on. Holidays are hard on people and their best intentions.

I add more sets to the RG BB Rows today even though I'm still trying to recover from SLDLs. Again, I see old guys staring, and not because they want to use the equipment. After I do a set of pull ups, they're too embarrassed to stare. The college boys arrive by the time I'm done with my last cardio session. They are really cute with great bodies so it's fun to sneak a glance at them. They're certainly a lot nicer to look at than the fat old guys who wander the gym, spending more time gabbing than exercising. I feel the faintest ache inside my elbow from Seated One-Arm Cable Rows, so no Drag Curls. I'd like to get one more set of pull ups today. I finish with most of my Mat Stretch. It's probably a bit intimidating, but I don't do it for other people. I do it for me. Friday I plan to whack the machine. Tomorrow I have a swim class, and no plans to go to the gym. I'm curious to see how I feel on Friday.

Wednesday Workout
(6.39 miles total cardio)

Xtrainer
30 min
136 cal
3.82 miles
7.63 av spd

Hammer Grip Pull Ups
Barely 31 Ugh!

Crunches 3 X 50

Bird Dog Planks
2 X 60 sec

Knee-in 50

SLDL
15 X 30
12 X 80, 100, 120
10 X 130
15 X 80

RG BB Row
15 X 30
12 X 50, 80
15x 90, 100 Hmmm

HGPU 31

One arm seated cable row
12 X 37.5, 45, 45, 45

Elliptical
30 min Prgm2
2.57 miles
292 cal

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Progress and Regression

There was a hail warning this morning and then it rained hard. But it was all over by the time I got the dogs to the park. Although showers ...