Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Skidding Along

As I drove my son to camp this morning, I suddenly realized that I'd have to move my Friday workout to Thursday, the very same day I have a swim class later in the evening. My husband has plans to be a tourist in NYC this weekend. I grew up there so I'm not sure what all the excitement is about. We have tickets to see The Lion King, a show I've wanted to see for years if only for the amazingly costumed performers. We also have a hotel room in Times Square, and reservations to area eateries. I hate NYC in the summer because it's hot and humid. The pervasive smell of rotting garbage is hard to escape. Throngs of people do not thrill me. They just make me paranoid because I'm small and easy to trample. Still, I'm hopeful that we will have an enjoyable experience.

Today is a Pull Day workout. I'm saving Whack the Machine for tomorrow. Because temps are in the low 70s with low humidity this morning, I'm surprised that the gym is virtually empty. But I shouldn't be. Anyone who's a runner will be outside, taking advantage of the mild weather. As the temp rises, the gym fills. I'm sure the inventor of the air conditioner has secured his place in heaven.
Avia tank too big!

I'm wearing shorts, the flimsy, filmy Avia tank and a hoodie for my warm up. The hoodie comes off after the first set at the Smith. The raspberry Asics seem tight on my right foot, but they're the best shoe I own for doing SLDLs and RG BB Rows. I see a few regulars like The Mayor and his teenage son, Maroon, and some HS boys. Later, I see Frankenstein lumbering between the Cybex machines. He glances a little too long in my direction. Definitely creepy.

Pull ups get slightly easy as my work out progresses. But I feel a weird discomfort in the base of my right palm. Uh oh... that's disturbingly familiar. Like carpal tunnel. I don't think swimming or kickboxing will aggravate it though. But I'm skipping Drag Curls. I haven't done much if any bicep work in months now, relying on the pulling motion of pull ups and rows to work those tiny muscles. For the most part, I feel vindicated. It's not like my biceps have melted away. I look at a photo of myself that's a few years old. Yes, my biceps really stood out then, but I realize, that it's only because I didn't have much in the way of triceps for counterbalance. So, I should stop being so envious of how I used to be, and just work on tweaking bothersome things. Like the fact I've put on 3 lbs in the past two months. Ugh!

Wednesday Workout
(6.39 miles total cardio)

X trainer 30 min
136 cal
3.79 miles
7.55 av spd

HGPU 31

Knee in 50

Push ups 100

CR 3x50

Smith SLDL
15@30
12@80
12@100
12@120
10@130

Smith RG BB Row
15@30
15@ 50, 80, 90, 100

HGPU  31

One arm seared cable rows
12@ 30
3x12@45

Elliptical
30 min prgm3
293 cal
2.58 miles

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mondays Are Crowded

Not only is today the Monday after a soggy, cold Cinco de Mayo, but it's also just Monday in general. Which means the gym is crowded. Th...