Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Work Around Workout

The day is not off to a promising start as I rush my son out the door so we can get to his TKD camp on time. Today they're going to SplashDown Water Park and he not only needed to wear swim clothes, but be sunscreened as well. In his back pack, he not only has dry clothes, a towel, a snack, a cooler bag with lunch in it, but also a book to read during "Quiet Time" and his DS for "Gaming Time". Because this TKD camp is also a "Before and After" program for working parents, kids can arrive at 7:30 am and don't have to leave until 6 pm when regular classes begin for the evening. As we pull into the parking lot, a big yellow school bus is already waiting.

I get to the gym earlier than I have lately but I feel sluggish and stiff again. I can't get on my favorite Precor (#1). Even though Precor #3 has a smoother motion, there is too much resistance even at Level 1 and I worry about spraining my ankles or stressing other joints. After 35 minutes, I barely make 4 miles even singing as fast as I can. Today is Back Day and I'm wary of putting too much stress on my lower back after last week's bout of sciatica. Remembering that this problem began with Seated Cable Rows, I start with a low weight: 60 lbs. My lower back is not at all happy and immediately stiffens up. I concentrate on pulling the cable to my lats and not bending forward. Then I up the weight to 90 lbs and do slow careful sets. My lower back's not happy, but it's not hurting either. It's just stiff, and there's a vague tingling under the skin, like it's been stretched uncomfortably. Well, I'm definitely ruling out Pendlays today, but maybe I can still do BB Rows with a lighter weight. Yes, us Gym Rats tend to be a bit pig-headed.

Cage stretch and kicks go well although I am moving slower than normal. I feel a tad foggy as well. Mo greets me and proceeds to tell me she's collecting food for the local humane society. Okay, and I tell her that I don't have anything to give them. Certainly not cat food. Well, at least she's not quite as manic as yesterday although since the gym is fairly empty, there's not really a lot of folks to talk to today. However, then B comes over to show me the 3 stitches she got at the beach yesterday when her sunbrella fell over and the point hit her in the face! Jeez! I knew sunbathing was dangerous in unexpected ways. I get sets of Lat Pull Downs in, but not before Mo asks me if I'll spot her benching. I decline, worrying that I'll really hurt my back. There's a lot of young guys in the free weight area, and one of them spots her without any issue.
Oddly, the muscles involved in the
offending exercise are NOT the area
affected by stiffness, tingling and pain.

Because doing Lower Back Extensions felt okay, I decide that I can do Reverse Grip BB Rows, just with a weight lower than my usual 105 lbs. I toy with the idea of 60 lbs briefly and then bite my lip and pick up the 90 lb barbell. It actually doesn't even feel that heavy so I do sets of 15 reps. My only issue is the stiffness in my lower back as I put the weight down after each set. I'm done, but I don't feel done. I knock out extra sets of abs just to keep my core warm. This hasn't been a particularly satisfying workout so I approach the Mat Stretch with some hesitancy. But my stretches all seem fine and my back doesn't bother me here.

Ranger Rick (RR) looks as if he's about to leave. Earlier I saw The Mayor, M, Hoodie Tattoo, Tall Pace, Short Pace, Skinny Mustache, Snow Bird, and Hannibal Baggy Knees. I put my head down on my shin and when I look up, RR and R are exchanging greetings. R's wearing a white tank which renders him virtually invisible. Normally he wears a bright primary color like red or blue. As I go to retrieve my hoodie and grips, I don't even notice him until after I've walked right past. 

Work Around Back Workout:
35 min Interval 7 = 4.02 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 15 @ 60 lbs / 5 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Cage Stretch & heel dips & side kicks
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 60 lbs / 6 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 25 @ 90 lbs / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 200
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Reverse Grip BB Row: 6 x 15 @ 90 lbs
Lower Back Extensions (again): 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups (again):125
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch with horizontal and vertical splits

Today I remember to weigh myself and it's not pretty. 110.2 lbs but I'm not too surprised.The hot shower feels good but I'm perplexed as to what's happening with my lower back. I should just call today the "90 lb workout" because that's where I've dropped my weights down to. Tomorrow's Leg Day and the only thing I'm looking forward to is the double cardio session. That's soooo sad. I hate cardio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...