Monday, August 12, 2013

Getting the Better of Myself

My husband has been accusing me of sleeping in on the weekends like a teenager, and I don't deny it. Although my reasons are far from partying or being online all night. No, I've spent the past several nights scratching all my bug bites until I finally resort to a dose of children's Benadryl® antihistamine. It's half as strong as the adult version but for some reason I can tolerate it much better and not have a Benadryl hangover the next day.

I'm still sluggish and groggy this morning when I hit the snooze button three times because I'm having an inexplicably complicated dream. Remnants of Trinity's confession to Neo echo against bizarre imagery that I try to make sense of as I wake. Which is odd because we haven't watched The Matrix in a really long time. I'm blaming the excessive amount of baked goods we purchased at Salinger's Farm and Bakery since we don't normally eat muffins and pies, although we also bought yellow Shiro plums, and Salinger's cling own peaches. Still, I feel slow and thick at the gym as I stash my gear in the locker and make my way to the cardio area.

A woman is just exiting Precor #1 and I wait for her to wipe it down rather than take on Precor #3 with its molasses glide, smooth but thick in resistance. I make a conscious decision to run my short playlist (6 songs) to give me momentum. It seems to work because I'm able to just make my 4 mile quota. Normally I'm more of a slug on Mondays. I'm not so lucky on the Smith when I go to bench. The glide feels really sticky and thick, as if it's gummed up with dust and lint. I know I'm going to have trouble today.

Today's Workout:
35 min Hill #5 = 4.00 miles Yay!
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 lbs / 10 @ 115 / 8 @ 135 / 5, 6, 6 @ 155 / 12 @ 135 / 15 @ 115 / 25 @ 95 lbs
At least I'm able to finish strong even if I had some problems with my heavy lifts. I've ordered a set of wraps, and a pair of gloves with wrist wraps attached, figuring either one or the other should fit me. Email says that they've just shipped. I'm excited to see if this will help!
Cage Stretch with BW Heel Dips and Side Kicks
Bent Over Rear Delt DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 25 lbs
I want to use the inclined bench but The Mayor keeps hopping on and off it, and I don't feel like talking to him or asking to share the bench. My lower back is not at all happy with the Bent Over position for the Rear Delt movement.
Lateral DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 25 lbs
I suspect that my arms are still recuperating from last Friday's bout with the Nexersys and just getting these 3 sets was hard. Next time I'm going to drop my reps down to 6 (I can get 8 easily) and see if I can't get 6 sets of 6.
BB Upright Rows: 12 @ 30 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 40 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 150
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Mat Stretch: the mats are all occupied so I grab an older fold out mat at the back of the gym to stretch. It's almost too soft and makes certain moves very difficult because there's not a lot of stability on a cushy mat.

I'm so zoned out that all I can think about is getting into the shower to blast all my bug bites with hot water, especially my feet and ankles. I forget to weigh myself but I already know from the puffiness in my face that I'm over 110 lbs. Water retention. I don't like the way I look or the way I feel. It's a good thing that it's only Monday. That gives me the rest of the week to get myself back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...