Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Better and Yet Worse

Before
Taking NSAIDs daily caught up with me with an irritated stomach so I stopped taking them. It was actually not so bad for a few days. Then my sciatica woke me up at 4 AM this morning and I popped three ibuprofen tablets just to go back to sleep. The week has been hectic, especially when the shower handle broke and we had to turn the water off to the entire house for a few days. While we're experienced Boy Scout campers, not having indoor plumbing gets old really fast. Luckily, the plumber was able to replace the faulty section. It wasn't cheap, but being able to flush the toilet and wash your hands right afterward, run the laundry, and wash the dishes are all things that are so much more difficult to do without running water. 

After
In my yard, a lone chrysalis promised to eclose during the nor'easter so I snipped the stalk and brought it inside. Butterflies are relatively fragile when newly emerged and we didn't know how hard it would rain, or how wild the winds would be. (We got a lot of rain and the wind knocked leaves and branches down, but we were relatively unscathed.) This is the only chrysalis I've ever witnessed in all the milkweeds I've planted for all the years I've planted. Since I hadn't expected to host a newly emergent monarch butterfly, I was ill prepared. I ran out to the local grocery to buy a pop-up net laundry basket and covered the open top with a large net laundry bag. Perfect. 

The monarch emerged sometime during the night which surprised me. It's probably a female based on the lack of distinctive scent spots on the lower wings. I put a slice of watermelon at the bottom for nutrition since there aren't really any flowers to offer it. I read that if the temps are below 60F, the butterflies will not be able to fly so I've been waiting for this cool spell to pass. Tomorrow will be in the 70s and I can send this late season creature on its migration journey. 

I got to the gym late but still managed to pedal the elliptical, attempt some paltry pull-ups (my right shoulder is really messed up), push some DBs, do minimum core work and stretches in the Aerobics Room. I attempted kneeling push-ups and found myself sliding across the mat which was frustrating. Then I did a few regular push-ups and it wasn't the sciatica that hurt as much as it was the shoulder. Pushing those DBs earlier really aggravated everything. I feel better having exercised but it's alarming how many body parts are accumulating damage that isn't recovering in a timely manner if at all. 

The local Job Lot has some interesting items that sometimes persist for weeks, like Preserved Quail Eggs, or things I hope never to see again, like Tobacco Syrup. Honestly, I've never seen tobacco as a flavoring agent, especially considering that nicotine is considered a potent insecticide. (My grandmother would buy a cigar, soak it in water and then use that water in a spray bottle to kill the aphids on her houseplants.) I can't imagine what you would use this for... something nefarious?


29 September 2026 1:07-2:58
Sciatica Tuesday


Precor elliptical #1 (1:45)
Program #1
Time: 30 + 5 (5144)
Distance: 2.70
Cal: 292
Precor HR: 137, 180-109
Google Health: 46-130
(Foot numb / calf clenched )

HGPU 13 (right shoulder/sciatica)
Skip right leg lunge stretch

(1:55)
Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Alt Seated DB Curls
10 lbs x 25/15/24 (2:02) seated lateral
15 lbs x 25/15/24 (2:10) stdng lateral
20/15/15 lbs x 20/15/24 reps
Set 1 (2:20); Set 2 (2:30)

Moderately Cool Aerobics Room (2:34-2:58
20 Piriformis/Hip flex
20 Hamstring / 20 nerve flossing
50 crunches x 2
12 Piriformis stretches
Child’s Pose
Cat/Cow stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Seated Arm rotations 20
Knee Push Ups 10 (knees sliding)
Push Ups 12 (right shoulder)
Air Squats 25
Neck Stretch / eye yoga


No comments:

Post a Comment

Better and Yet Worse

Before Taking NSAIDs daily caught up with me with an irritated stomach so I stopped taking them. It was actually not so bad for a few days. ...