The band, Reality Bites, was great and effected appropriate costume changes for whichever band they were covering. Most of it was dance worthy, except for the Beastie Boys, a band I've never liked. Better yet, I scored a pair of free passes for the next Friday or Saturday show. Or I could take myself twice. The BBQ buffet wasn't as good as last time, but the band was better so there was more dancing. Very worth it.
The weather has gone from an overcast orange haze due to the Canadian wildfires to blistering hot to flood watches and tornado alerts. The weather is too exciting lately. I would've gone to the gym yesterday but my sleep deprivation got the better of me. Every Monday I get up at 4:30 AM to drive my kid to the Metro North station to catch trains and connecting buses to the unpaid summer internship out in Long Island. There's only a few more weeks until that ends, then a few weeks before back to college!
It's hard to go back to sleep after the drive to and from, and then the subsequent dog walk once I get back home. And the sleep deficit appears to be cumulative because I'm unable to sleep more hours during the week to make up for Monday night's paltry duration. At some point I'll wind up napping with the dogs in the late afternoon when I just can't keep my eyes open. Meanwhile, I've decided I need to try actually reading a book again. Not an e-book or a story on my phone, but an actual paper pages book that I hold in my hands.
I've found that I've fallen prey to device distraction: it's too easy for my attention to wander these days. The only downside is that I'm reading Christopher Buckley, an extremely erudite and witty writer with an extensive vocabulary. So every 5-6 pages I'm scrambling to look up a word definition. I've read Little Green Men before, but it was so long ago that I've forgotten a lot of the juicy details. It's actually quite a pleasure to reread this again.I got to the gym and expected it to be more crowded due to the bad weather. I was not expecting the gym to be so warm. Between my fatigue and the unpleasant warmth and humidity, I did not have a great cardio session on the Precor. But I did get 35 min done. Of course, the FitBit never registers this event as using the elliptical. It thinks I'm doing a leisurely stroll. It doesn't register weight lifting either. I have to manually enter that. And there's no category to apply my paltry pull-ups. I'm happy I made it past a dozen, but just barely. I'm sure if I increased my frequency, I'd see better numbers. But, well...
The free weight area is at first super crowded and I glom a bench between a bunch of guys. I don't see any women or girls beyond a few cable machines and the treadmill. By the time I'm done with my routine, most of the guys are done as well. The weights feel okay. My sciatica feels okay. At least until I enter the warm and clammy Aerobics Room and get to Dead Bugs. Lately, those make my right foot numb and tingly. I'm not torturing myself with Bird Dogs. Doing push-ups is torture enough.
The sun had come out and bright light was blazing through the big picture windows. By the time I'd done showering and changing, the skies had turned gray and it was raining when I walked back to my car. There are flood watch warnings. Not sure if we're really susceptible to tornadoes although some have touched down in the past.
ShopRite is selling pitiful, light-starved Venus flytraps again in those protective plastic death domes that trap moisture and reduce light. These plants need full sun! The center plant doesn't even appear to have any traps at the end of its leaves. The plant to the far left has a flower stalk, an act of desperation when a plant will plow all their energy and resources into before succumbing. If the plant is happy, it'll also flower but that's not what's happening with these poor specimens. I'm not sure what's happening to major clothing retailers like The GAP, a store I trust to sell me good quality underwear and jeans. The email sales I'm seeing seem much more than just summer inventory clearance. Pants that retailed for $90 are being offered with massive discounts and can be purchased for roughly $20 and free shipping. I bought two pairs barrel-leg faded print jeans. Even better is that they come in a short length so I don't have to hem them. The pockets are reasonable but truthfully, they could be a skosh deeper. At least they're not faux finger-tip pockets. Those suck.
No comments:
Post a Comment