 |
| Multiple bites |
I admit that as a certified bug magnet, I was tempting fate by walking my dogs in the evening without dousing myself with insect repellent. I had been relying on my bug pants and hooded jacket, and gloves. But that left my face exposed. In the morning, because I'm at the dog park for at least an hour, I normally dab
picaridin on my face with the the sprayed back of my hands. For a 10 minute walk though, I didn't really want to do that. Unfortunately, biting insects can sense tasty meals from quite the distance and attack exposed flesh at light speed. I never saw these buggers, but I did feel the stinging bites as I slapped my face while keeping a grip on my two dogs.
 |
| Char-siu |
The first time this happened, I slathered my face in hydrocortisone cream and forestalled any allergic reactions. The second time I wasn't as fortunate and suffered a huge amount of swelling on my cheek, eyelid and next to my nose. Dabbing
topical Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream next to your eye is not ideal. I had trouble seeing out of that eye and kept pressing a cold pack against my face. It was still swollen the next day but not as noticeable. Luckily, today everything feels normal more or less.
 |
| Baos steaming |
I've been remiss in my garlic consumption lately so for the past two days I've indulged in an old favorite: perfectly ripe avocado smushed onto toast and covered in crushed fresh garlic with tomato slices and a sprinkle of salt. No doubt I'll be slightly less skeeter attractive now. My kid's kitchen project this weekend was char-siu baos aka Chinese roast pork buns. Pork loins marinated and roasted, chopped and mixed with onions and honey. Bao dough kneaded, risen, shaped around the filling and then steamed. I was lucky to get two out of the ten that were made -- the rest wound up split between my kid and the kid down the road who served as sous chef and dishwasher.

I got to the gym today in spite feeling surreal fatigue. Today was the last Monday I'll have to get up at 4:30 AM to drive my kid to the train station since the unpaid internship ends this Friday. Apparently there's a presentation due! My kid will be home for a few weeks where I'll be scheduling appointments with the dermatologist, dentist, pediatrician, but there will still be time to hang out and socialize with friends before the next school term begins.
The gym is relatively empty, as was the parking lot. Maybe there wasn't a Senior class today? I'm relatively early. The kids come in later. I pedal and feel my lungs ache from a week of inertia. Not great stats but hey, at least I made it to the gym. Wind Breaker shows up a few minutes after I start pedaling. I see a few regulars scattered throughout. Pull-ups are slightly better than last time, but again, the sciatica really curls my toes and makes those last reps ugly and painful.

The free weight area isn't as empty as I'd like but I can still access a flat bench and the weights I want to use. Kids come and go on the surrounding benches. I see the married couple working legs in the hack squat machine and then DB shoulder presses. My right shoulder has been wonky lately, clicking and catching depending on rotation. It's not as if I've been doing anything particularly physical either. A damaged joint that never properly healed is exacerbated by simple movements, like trying to keep the dogs from tangling me up in their leashes. Or backing my car into my narrow driveway. You'd be surprised at how daily mundane movements add up.
The Aerobics Room is warmer than expected but at least it's empty. Unfortunately, since it's situated at the back of the storefront it's subject to loud noises and vibrations from trucks unloading in the rear parking lot. Today, the noise and air pressure was almost painful and I removed my earbuds several times. An empty Aerobics Room with a wood floor and mirrored walls makes a perfect amplifier for low frequency vibrations. At least the room is empty, so I can count aloud which helps me keep track of my reps. That gives me an extra push-up rep before my right leg complains too much.
I've been going to the chiropractor once a week, mostly to spend a few minutes in their decompression aka traction device. I can't say that I feel better afterward, but I don't feel worse. I'm still eating a mix of ibuprofen and acetaminophen daily but limited to just once daily. It's not doing my stomach any favors. Someone gave me the name of a pain management office that's in my health insurance plan. I'd really like that to include acupuncture, but it won't. (Most pain medications are contraindicated for glaucoma patients.) And I'm still looking at micro neurosurgery to actually fix the spinal stenosis problem instead of just masking the symptomatic pain. But in my head, I'm not there yet.
27 July 2026 12:22-2:15
Sciatica Monday last predawn train
Another Stormy flood watch
Precor elliptical #1 (1:00)
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5207)
Distance: 2.73
Cal: 296
Precor HR: 142, 176-?
Google Health: 44-124
(Foot numb)
HGPU 17
Sciatica makes this really painful
Skull Crushers/RipSkulls (1:12-1:45)
30 lbs x 24 reps x 4
S/s with
Standing DB Laterals w/ 10 lbs x 15 reps
15 x 15 x 3
S/s wit
Seated DB Alt Curls w/ 10 lbs x 12
15 x 12 x 3
Mild A/C in the Aerobics Room!
20 Piriformis/Hip flex
15 Hamstring / nerve flossing
Dead Bugs 20 x 5 (numb foot)
12 Piriformis stretches
Child’s Pose
Cat/Cow stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Arm rotations 20
Push-Ups 31
Air Squats 25
Neck Stretch / eye yoga (2:15)
No comments:
Post a Comment